Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Where the River Meets the Ocean


Have you ever seen where a river meets the ocean? The water is choppy and moving in many different directions. This is exactly how I felt last week. I was visiting my parents, checking up on my dog (who is currently living w/ them), and visiting other relatives. I loved spending time with the family, however it was bitter sweet, I knew it would be the last long visit I would have with them for quite awhile. I soaked up all the love, laughter, and quality time I could and it was a week I will never forget.

I prepared for one last yard sale at my parents house! I found a treasure chest of letters in the closet. These letters had not seen the light of day in years. What I found were the letters my mother had received from her mother, sister, and boyfriend (yes, my father) while away at college. These letters were side splittingly funny, emotionally touching, and provided insight into what each of these individuals was like "back in the day."

What do we get from a letter other then the content? We get-handwriting, dates, times, smells, cross-outs, doodles, and so much more!

Today most people don't send real mail, instead they use: email, text, facebook, and twitter to correspond. Today's technology doesn't require us to have patience, everything is instant and fleeting. Emails get deleted, text and facebook doesn't get archived. What will our kids have to look back on, read, or discover? When was the last time you printed pictures off of your computer? Most of us just leave them on the hard drive. I lost 3,ooo photo's in seconds a few years ago. The guy at the Apple store told me "they are floating out in the universe never to be seen again."

So... I have decided I will start writing more letters. Who knows if the recipients will tuck them away in a closet for safe keeping, but I like the idea of letters, there is something more personal and thoughtful about them.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Trish. It really was an awesome week. We had a lot of fun and laughs. I knew too that it was bittersweet and I too soaked up every minute of it. You are an awesome human being and the world is a better place with you in it!! Your grandmother would be so happy that you enjoyed those letters and that Amanda, Aunt Jeannie, you and I had so much fun reading them and laughing!! I think we should all write more letters. It is more personal and lasting. Riley sends his love to you. Dad and Riley are really bonding... They're best buds right now!! Good luck with your arrangements for your new life. I know it must be stressful and exhilarating all at the same time. That's the thrill of it. And just think, you're not sitting at a computer making someone else rich!! You're at the helm of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish,
    I like your blog. You are very insightful. I agree with writing letters. I have 3 boxes filled with letters and cards from my mom, dad, brother when he was in the army, and love notes from Chris when we were dating. Chris and I keep most every card we give each other in a file and I have scrapbooked memories of Chris and I when we were dating. I look forward to documenting Tyler and Megan's first year of life and giving it to them when they are older. I wish you love, wisdom, and courage to continue on this road and adventure. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish,

    Just read your blog. I have every card and letter ever given to me! I still write to people by hand. Take care and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! You guys are geniuses! As far as I see it, no one has any guarantees and almost everyone is living pay check to pay check these days so for everyone who thinks you are nuts I say YOU ARE A GENIUS! Why not do it? Also, you are so right about it being the digital age and our kids having nothing to look back on. I compile a book with almost every picture I take all year long and letters I write the kids yearly. I want them to have a series of leather bound books one day that are volume 1-18 of the first 18 years of their lives! You guys should do the same thing with your trip, you can save almost anything without saving the actual stuff! I am going to scan elementary school art projects, report cards etc. I just think it will be so neat for them to look back on. Love you guys! Hope you are enjoying your adventure as much as we are enjoying reading about it!

    ReplyDelete