Thursday, February 10, 2011

Keyzee




So I thought I'd share some info from the locals and the things I have learned while living here in The Keys, here goes.

Definitions:
Keyzee-simply means "keeping it easy." Down here simple beats complex
Keys Disease= slower life style, there are many definitions some positive, some negative, if you slow to the point of starting to not show up at work it becomes a -, if you simply enjoy a laid back atmosphere and less stress well thats a +
Rag Bagger= sailor
Stink Pot= motor boater
The Rock-=The Keys
Main Land= Rest of the US

Things you see here on the Rock that are alittle off beat:
Barefoot people at the grocery store, DMV, shops, etc.
Lots of long haired hippies
People of all ages riding bikes
"Something About Mary" Old ladies- just alittle over baked-crispy to be exact
Beer Can Shorts-they have a specific pocket for your beer, now if they only kept it cool!
Cuban Refuge boats hidden away in the mangroves
People of all flavors, the people watching is amazing...AMAZING, coolest part is no one cares down here...be yourself- it is the only way to be
Laid-back attitudes; take a NYer who is having a great day times their care-freeness by 3 and add alittle genuine and you arrive at the equivalent of a Keys Local, one that has lived on The Rock their whole life. If they were any more laid back I'd have to poke them with a stick to make sure they were still breathing.
The lifers don't lock their doors, wear sunscreen, or bug spray...this is why I know I will never be a true local- mosquitoes love me, I'd be a lobster, and I literally get out of bed to lock the doors.
How do we give directions? strictly by mile marker then Ocean side or Bay side

Street names:
Tropical, Bahama, Sunset, Ocean, Atlantic

What do we listen too?
Kenny Chesney singing Key Lime Pie
Barefoot Man
Micah singing anything local-check our his "Barstool Sailing"
Anything and everything by Jimmy Buffet, I personally love "Still in Paradise"
Most of our radio stations have Spanish/Latin/Cuban music (makes you wanna move!)

Local Food:
Anything Key Lime; pie, martini, juice, cookie, ice cream
Fish, Fish, and more Fish, they have a term for Mahi Mahi here that took some time getting use too, they call it "Dolphin", I just about freaked the first time I heard someone say "caught some dolphin and it was delicious!"
Conch; the locals ate it almost to the point of extinction, so we now import it while our own reserves grow
Lobster and oysters
Key West Sunset Ale

I'm sure I am missing a few key (no pun intended) details...I'll update again soon (meaning like a month from now...as the pace of my life has slowed and yet filled it self with many enjoyable leisure activities.)





1 comment:

  1. Wow Trish you guys are really having some awesome experiences. The Keys sounds amazing and the pics are beautiful.. Having a slower lifestyle sounds very inviting... Maybe when we come down to visit, we'll just have to stay a while and become Keyzees or maybe long haired hippees. I think we could do that!! Thanks for the update!!

    ReplyDelete